Tuesday, February 19, 2013

No Speak English...




So Lately I have been getting a lot of calls from people who do not speak English...
Its frustrating because not only do they not understand what I say, I cannot understand them!
How in the world am I supposed to help them?!?
It drives me nuts!!!
I think whenever someone calls in to a place they should have to pass an English test to see if they really can speak English or they only think they can speak.
Yeah it would be frustrating for people calling in but think how much easier every ones life would be if people who cant actually speak English were either directed to a language line or prompted to go find a translator.
Does this sound mean? maybe... Is there a better solution? probably... Do I care? not really...
I'm just sick of helping people who don't know English... because I have no clue what they are saying and they have no clue what i am saying...
So you can feel my pain I will make up a conversation using my best broken English:

You: Hi thanks for calling what can i help you with?

Foreign person: Hallo? I need you help.

You: (rolls eyes) OK, what do you need help with?

Foreign person: I big problem, don know what do?

You: Well, whats the problem?

Foreign person: you can help me?

You: Yes, what do you need help with?

Foreign person: My English very poor...

You: That's OK what do you need help with?

Foreign person: Big problem you help me?

You: Yes what do you need?

Foreign Person: I no no how explain...

AT this point I'm sure you are pretty frustrated and just want to end the call so your options are as follows:

a.) hang up and hope someone else gets them
b.) offer to transfer to the broken English line and see what they say
c.) start yelling at them in frustration (they probably wont understand)
d.) try for another 20 min to try and get through to them.

Well now you know and if you still don't agree then tough because that is my opinion and that's what I post on my blog.

till next time!


2 comments:

  1. That's exactly how I feel about people who TAKE calls. I think all customer service lines should be operated by people who speak clear English. "No you can't help me because I can't understand you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it goes both ways unfortunately...

    ReplyDelete